8 years ago my sister suggested I find a way to publish the amusing emails I sent her about our dog Zoe. Now there is blogging! Zoe tales are about Zoe (3 1/2 lb Chihuahua), Gracie (bigger and the world's friendliest Chihuahua) and other stuff I am thinking about. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 23, 2005

And Then There Is This...

I start getting all warm and fuzzy and thinking maybe we all can just get along and that children are the future and they'll lead the way. Then I read this - Oprah - let that sink in - Oprah Winfrey who is, according to Forbes magazine, a billionaire and the most powerful celebrity in the world, wasn't allowed to come in and shop in an Hermes store in Paris last week. Last week! Perhaps on a remote island with no televisions could you argue that Oprah would not be recognized but Paris and in a shop for a company that aggressively courts celebrity wearings of its product?!?

I just this morning wrote to a couple of folks that Oprah experienced this back when she was a mere millionaire and that race trumps class in America in ways that aren't always the case in other countries. But if Oprah Winfrey can get shut out of a shop in 2005 in France - what hope is there for ordinary non-famous, non-billionaire black folks in America?

Oprah will discuss what she calls her "Crash" moment (after the movie) on her show when it resumes in September.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to meeting you at Blogher.

July 04, 2005 9:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|