8 years ago my sister suggested I find a way to publish the amusing emails I sent her about our dog Zoe. Now there is blogging! Zoe tales are about Zoe (3 1/2 lb Chihuahua), Gracie (bigger and the world's friendliest Chihuahua) and other stuff I am thinking about. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Ordinary Good

It doesn't always suck. Despite my spate of pessimistic posts on the state of race, I am reminded that the hope can be greater than the despair.

I am grateful because...

Last night I was invited to join a book club and met a great group of mostly white folks who welcomed me.

I met a white woman there who is raising a biracial son and who is not blind to the fact that there are some difficulties ahead and is doing her best to be aware and to guide her child.

I've made new friends that are kind, supportive, curious and questioning even when I rant and ramble on.

I had lunch today with a white woman whom I met at the dinner after the talk about my ancestors and she was generous and supportive with her time and advice.

Another neighbor - also an older white man - noting that my house had been sold, first expressed his disappointment that he wouldn't get to pet my dogs anymore (complimenting the pets - always a good choice) and second asked me if I would be moving to Oakland. No shock and awe - just kind support and understanding. I'll miss my neighbors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|