8 years ago my sister suggested I find a way to publish the amusing emails I sent her about our dog Zoe. Now there is blogging! Zoe tales are about Zoe (3 1/2 lb Chihuahua), Gracie (bigger and the world's friendliest Chihuahua) and other stuff I am thinking about. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Dilemma

blackfeminism.org has a post about an article in the Boston Globe that illustrates the difficult choice some black folks face - do you live where your people are, which often means your access to services can be limited, but you don't have to struggle with racial identity issues or do you move to the better serviced white suburbs where you're subject to being treated like an alien invader?

Two points from the article jumped out at me - one about being warned about not choosing to live in "unsafe" (black) neighborhoods and another about housing prices creating an invisible racial barrier. The first has happened to me so many times I've lost count. The second is something I see even in very diverse areas like here in the SF Bay Area. Oakland vs. Piedmont being a perfect example.

Both the original article and the post with thoughtful commentary are worth a read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|