8 years ago my sister suggested I find a way to publish the amusing emails I sent her about our dog Zoe. Now there is blogging! Zoe tales are about Zoe (3 1/2 lb Chihuahua), Gracie (bigger and the world's friendliest Chihuahua) and other stuff I am thinking about. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Crowns at Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts

Last night I had the opportunity to see essentially a full dress rehersal for the musical Crowns at the Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts. Previews start tonight and the show runs through May 1.

I joined several members of my family to go see and support our dear friend Michelle Jordan. Michelle is an amazing and massively talented singer and performer (and teacher, Choir Director and spiritual counselor). Crowns was adapted for the stage by Regina Taylor (best known for her portrayal of Lily Harper in the criminally underwatched show I'll Fly Away) from the book Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats by Michael Cunningham and Craig Marberry. The play tells the stories of several women, their life in their communities and in their churches, punctuated by what hat they wore and woven together with gospel songs.

Given that the show is not even in previews yet, it was remarkably well staged and pulled together. I saw another play last week on its second night of previews and it was still very rough around the edges. Crowns got a standing ovation last night so I'm sure it will only get more impressive as they continue to perform.

I highly recommend Crowns for the fascinating sociology, the strong performances and most especially for the incredible music - particularly Michelle's singing. During and after one of her songs a guy behind me kept muttering "wow" repeatedly. I am somewhat jaded and cynical when it comes to singing and performances as I worked in the music business for a while and have seen more than my fair share of "undiscovered" talent - trust me, I think most should not quit their day jobs. And I find myself blown away every time I hear this woman sing. That said, the show would be worth seeing even if Michelle weren't in it but she is so treat yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|