8 years ago my sister suggested I find a way to publish the amusing emails I sent her about our dog Zoe. Now there is blogging! Zoe tales are about Zoe (3 1/2 lb Chihuahua), Gracie (bigger and the world's friendliest Chihuahua) and other stuff I am thinking about. Enjoy!

Monday, April 18, 2005

Tight!

Recently we helped my grandmother move apartments and I came across her high school "autograph book" from 1929. Wow - how fascinating! It was more than just "autographs" from her classmates - it was a diary that she kept her entire senior year. Sort of like a self-created yearbook.

There were spaces for photographs of classmates and for fond notes from friends. Including the one that my grandmother had from her best friend - this is when they lived in Pittsburgh, just before my grandmother and great grandparents moved to Harlem - with the usual wishes of hoping they would remain friends after they graduated. This same best friend and her husband now live in the same retirement community as my grandmother here in California! They've remained friends for over 80 years! Amazing - how many BFF's from your yearbook are you still in touch with?

The cool thing I found came in a description of a party she attended. In describing her enjoyment of this party she wrote that she had a "tight time." More than 75 years later tight is still slang for good. There really is nothing new under the sun is there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|